Frequently Asked Questions

Animal Keeping – FAQs

How many horses may I have on my property?

How many chickens (or female poultry) & roosters (or male poultry) may I have on my property?

How many dogs and/or cats may I have on my property?

Manufactured Home – FAQs

Can I locate a mobile home or manufactured home on my property?

While building a new home can I put a temporary mobile home on my property to live in while my house is under construction?

Does my mobile home need a permanent foundation?

How do I obtain a permit to modify a home that is located in a Mobile Home Park? 

Where can a mobile home park be located in San Bernardino County? 

How many mobile homes can I have in a proposed mobile home park?

May I place a single wide trailer on my property?

In what land use districts (zones) may a recreational vehicle park be located?

Can I store my RV on my property?

Zoning – FAQs

What is zoning?

What is my property zoned; how do I find out?

Can I put a billboard on my property?

If I want to establish a business, what land use permits are required, and does San Bernardino County require a business license?

What is a setback; what are the setbacks on my property?

Can I have a second dwelling on my property?

TPM Lot Merger; etc. FAQs

Can I split or subdivide my property?

How can I split or subdivide my parcel?

Can I adjust my property lines?

Can I merge my lots?

What is a Certificate of Subdivision Compliance?

What are easements? Can I build on an easement?

Accessory Dwelling Unit – FAQs

Can I build an ADU on my property?

Are there size limitations for an ADU and JADU?

Is parking required for an ADU and JADU?

Can I convert my garage to an ADU?

Can I use my ADU as a short-term rental?

Where can I find more information about ADU regulations?

Short Term Rental FAQs

What is a short-term rental?

Where are short-term rentals allowed?

Short-term rentals are only allowed in the Mountain and Desert Regions in the Rural Living (RL), Single Residential (RS), Multiple Residential (RM), Resource Conservation (RC), and Agriculture (AG) land use zoning designations.

What types of structures can be used as short-term rentals?

A single family dwelling, duplex, a room in a dwelling, a guest house, and some accessory dwelling units (see FAQs regarding ADUs above) can be permitted as a short-term rental. Except for a duplex, multi-family structures (apartments) cannot be used for short-term rental purposes. Yurts, travel trailers, and RVs also cannot be permitted as a short-term rental at this time.

Is a permit required?