Frequently Asked Questions about Mining in San Bernardino

Mining – FAQs

Does the County have mining regulations?

Does SMARA apply to mining on federal lands?

When is a Mining Conditional Use Permit or Reclamation Plan Required?

What kind of zoning allows for a mining operation?

Does an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) have to be prepared for every mining operation?

What is a metallic mine?

Do I have to backfill mine excavations?

Do I have to revegetate when done with mining?

How long does it take to process a Mining Conditional Use Permit and/or Reclamation Plan?

How much does it cost to process a mining application?

Do I need to provide financial assurances for my operation once it is approved?

Are annual reports and inspections required of all operations?

How do I close the mine?

View the Print Friendly copy of the FAQ's [pdf].