Be sure you have all the necessary permits before you start work. Permits can be obtained at your local Building and Safety office (listed on last page of document) or via the EZ Online Permitting website located at the link below:
Below is a list of items requiring a permit:
- New Attached or Detached Buildings and Structures greater than 120 square feet
- Roof and Ground Mount Solar Installation
- Patio Covers (Solid and Lattice)
- Enclosed Patios
- Electric Charging Station
- Additions and Alterations
- Pools and Spas
- Carports, Garages and Barns
- Fences/Block Walls over 6 ft. in height
- Retaining Walls over 4 ft. in height, measured from the bottom of footing or any retaining wall supporting a surcharge
- Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical and Structural Repairs
- Temporary structures such as a modular unit, recreational vehicle/trailer
- Onsite Grading (cut & fill) of 50 cubic yards or more
- Erosion Control
- Wall or Monument Signs
- Other types of construction activities, not listed here, may require a permit. All building setbacks must be maintained, whether a permit is required or not.
Please contact a representative of the Building and Safety Division at
(909) 387-8311 or (760) 995-8140 (Desert Areas) for any questions or to verify whether a permit will be required for your project.
Permit research can be requested at the Building and Safety customer service counters during operating hours. Archived paper permits are located at specific offices. Contact us to place a request for permit history by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone (909) 387-8311 (Valley Office) or (760) 995-8140 (Desert Areas), or walk-in. Please be prepared to provide the following information: Assessor’s Parcel Number or address, type of permits, time frame for search.
There is a $10 fee charged for anyone other than the property owner requesting permit research. Please contact Customer Service to file request and obtain project number to apply payment for research.