Home           Forms           Rideshare Tracking           Emergency Information           Traffic Updates           Employee Benefits      

Frequently Asked Questions


Guaranteed Emergency Transportation

Q: What is Guaranteed Emergency Transportation (GET)/Guaranteed Ride Home (GRH)?

A: The intent of this program is to make sure commuters (no matter which mode of ridesharing) participating in the Commuter Services program will be able to get home if an unusual circumstance or emergency occurs on a day that they rideshared. This would include illness, family emergency, and unplanned overtime.

How it works: The employee must obtain permission from their supervisor to leave early. They should first check to see if they can get a ride from a family member, friend or co-worker. If not, then they should ask their supervisor if their department has a county car they can borrow, or if they can borrow a car from Motor Pool at a cost to their department. If this also is not possible, then the employee should contact Commuter Services for assistance. If the drive is less than 30 miles, a taxi is an option, and if the drive is over 30 miles, a rental car may be an option. An authorization form is required, so please don't delay in contacting Commuter Services once the other options have been exhausted.

Q: How do I become eligible for incentives?

A: To be eligible for incentives, you must be tracking online or on our calendars that can be found in our newsletter. Incentives that you may be eligible by tracking are the Luncheon, the $2 Incentive Start-Up for New Rideshare Participants, Rideshare Plus Card after completing your initial 3 months of ridesharing, GET, preferred parking permits, awards, etc.

Q: If I live in Los Angeles County do I qualify?

A: For most incentives, you must be a resident of San Bernardino or Riverside County.


Please view the FAQs here 

Walk to Work

Q: Since I walk to work, am I eligible for the rideshare program?

A: Absolutely! Walking is a form of ridesharing because you are not only taking a vehicle off the road you are using the most efficient form of energy…your body! Walking is certainly a viable alternative to driving to work alone.


Q: What is telecommuting?

A: Telecommuting utilizes technology to allow employees to perform assignments at a more convenient location than their traditional office. Typically that location is the person's residence or a satellite office.

Q: Can anyone telecommute?

A: All County agencies and departments are encouraged to participate in the program. While the Telecommuting Program is entirely voluntary, individual participation is solely a management prerogative.

Bike to Work

Q: Are there any bicycle shops that offer a discount to San Bernardino County employees?

A: Cyclery USA in Redlands www.cycleryusa.com offers County employees a 10% discount on bicycle accessories with proper County of San Bernardino identification.

Q: What are some guidelines that I can follow while biking to work?

A: Equipping Your Bicycle for Commuting

1. Make sure the bicycle is properly sized and adjusted.
2. Use a white headlamp and a red rear reflector for night riding.
3. A rack over the rear wheel is convenient for carrying items such as books, a briefcase, or clothing.
4. Carry a basic tool kit, tire patch kit and tire pump for those unexpected roadside repairs.

Bicycle Safety Guidelines

• Wear a bicycle helmet. It is the law for persons under 18 years of age.
• Ride with the traffic flow.
• Ride in a straight line.
• Ride to the right if you are moving slower than other traffic, unless you are turning left, passing another bicycle or vehicle, or avoiding hazards.
• Stop at stop signs and red lights.
• Use a light, reflectors and reflective clothing during darkness.
• Wear bright clothing during the daytime.
• Ride to the right if you are moving slower that other traffic, unless you are turning left, passing another bicycle or vehicle, or avoiding hazards.
• Keep a safe distance from parked cars.
• Use proper hand signals when turning, stopping or changing lanes.
• Use extra caution when it is raining, and allow extra time to stop.
• Cross railroad tracks at a right angle.
• Walk your bike when using a crosswalk.
• Do not wear headphones on both ears while riding.
• Keep your bike properly maintained so it is safe.
• Do not drink and ride.
• Ride defensively.
• Use hand signals.
• Be alert for road hazards.
• Watch for cars at cross streets and driveways.
• Obey all traffic signals.
• Use lights at night.
• Keep your bike in good condition.
• Ride in the same direction as the flow of traffic. Keep right where practicable to allow vehicles to pass.
• Be aware of parked cars and watch for car doors that may open. Give pedestrians the right of way.

Further information about bicycle safety can be found at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).



Q: Are there events for commuters, who use public transit?

A: Yes, Transit is a critical component of Commuter Services Programs and is included in all Commuter Services Events. Dump the Pump day is an event specifically targeted at increasing the use of transit as an alternative to driving to work alone. It is held annually in June.

Q: Where can I get system map/routes?

A: You may contact us @ 909-387-9640 and we will interoffice it to you.

Q: Where can I get Bus Books?

A: You may contact us @ 909-387-9640 and we will interoffice it to you.

Q: How can I purchase a bus pass?

A: You may purchase a 31-Day pass through payroll deduction on a pre-tax basis.

Q: What is the best way to plan my trip to work using public transportation?

A: There is a trip planner on http://www.omnitrans.org/.

Q: What transit agencies are in the County of San Bernardino?

A: Barstow Area Transport

You may call customer service at (760) 256-0311 or visit the Barstow Area Transit web site.

Morongo Basin Transit Authority
Morongo Basin Transit Authority web site, or call customer service at (800) 794-6282.

Mountain Area Regional Transit Authority
MARTA web site, or call one of the following for information:

Big Bear area (909) 878-5200

Crestline (909) 338-1113.

Needles Area Transit
Needles Area Transit web site, or call customer service at (760) 326-5700

Omnitrans, or call customer service at (800) 966-6428.

Victor Valley Transit Authority
VVTA office (760) 948-3030, or visit the VVTA web site.

Foothill Transit Agency
Foothill Transit or call customer service at (800) 743-3463


Q: Where can I meet my carpool partner?
A: Meeting points should be coordinated with all of the members of the carpool. As an option, there are Park and Ride Lots located throughout Southern California. To locate one to suit your carpool needs visit http://www.commutesmart.info/google-earth.asp.

Q: How can I find carpool partner?

A: Finding a carpool partner has never been easier. Log on to https://www.ridematch.info/service.asp and a list of individuals who live and work near you will be provided.

Q: What do I do if my carpool partner must leave work early due to illness or other emergency?

A: The Guaranteed Ride Home (GET) is available to participating employees. You may get further information about this benefit here http://cms.sbcounty.gov/hr-commuterservices/EmergencyInformation.aspx.

Q: Who determines the number of carpool spaces at a County facility or building?

A: The number of carpool spaces is determined by the County Administrative Office and the Facilities Management Department.

Q: I carpool regularly, how do get a parking permit to park in Carpool Parking spaces?

A: You may submit a Carpool Permit Application which can be found at http://cms.sbcounty.gov/hr-commuterservices/Portals/22/PDFs/Carpool_Parking_Permit.pdf.

Q: What is a carpool?

A: 2 or more WORKING adults, who commute to work in the same vehicle for more than half the distance.

Q: Can I carpool with my children?

A: Carpooling with your children counts on the annual Transportation Survey; however, only other working adults are considered eligible carpool partners for the purposes of the County's Commute Reduction programs and incentives.

Q: How many carpool parking permits are issued per carpool?

A: One permit will be issued for a carpool consisting of two qualified individuals and a maximum of two permits will be issued for a carpool of three or more qualified individuals

Q: Is there a fee to replace a lost Carpool Parking Permit?

A: There is a replacement fee of $25 for lost permits.

Q: If I forget my parking permit, may I still park in the Carpool Parking spaces?

A: Only vehicles displaying the Carpool Parking permit are permitted to park in the Carpool Parking spaces. Vehicles that do not have the permit displayed are subject to the issuance of a parking citation.

Q: Is there any help for me if my car stops on the freeway?

A: Yes, the Freeway Service Patrol (FSP) patrols select San Bernardino County freeways to help stranded motorists during the specified service times. FSP drivers also receive information from the CHP regarding cellular 911 and call box callers requesting assistance.

Q: How can the Freeway Service Patrol help?

A: If you are stuck on the freeway because your vehicle stops running, the FSP can:

• Jump-start a dead battery
• Refill your radiator and tape leaking hoses
• Change a flat tire
• Provide a gallon of gas if your car runs out of fuel
• Assist with other minor repairs

If the FSP can't get your car going within a short period of time, it will be towed, at no charge, to a location designated by the CHP.

Q: How can I recognize the Freeway Service Patrol?

A: All FSP trucks are white and easily recognizable by the FSP logo on the doors. FSP drivers wear blue uniforms, with yellow safety vests, all with the same FSP logo. Drivers also carry an identification card issued by the CHP.

Q: Are FSP Drivers certified?

A: Yes, FSP Drivers receive their certification after completing a CHP training program.

Q: Can the Freeway Service Patrol tow me to a private repair facility or to my home?

A: No. The FSP drivers can tow vehicles only to CHP-designated locations off the freeway. Also, FSP drivers cannot recommend service companies or repair/body shops.

Q: Can I pay or tip the tow truck driver?

A: Drivers are not allowed to accept additional compensation from commuters including tips or gratuities.

For more information about FSP administrative issues, please contact San Bernardino Freeway Service Patrol business office at: (909) 388-8040 or send an e-mail to: fsp@sanbag.ca.gov. Please note: motorists cannot request FSP service through the FSP business office or the FSP website.